Recorded in Atlanta, Georgia in June for the Mordant World Meet-up at the Phoenix & Dragon Bookstore, Mordant discusses Leveling Up Your Life.
Here are the highlights:
• The brain can’t tell the difference between what you see and what you think
o Dreaming is like you’re really doing it. The same with movies
• WOW point:
o “If you’re not being creative in your own world, you’re not leveling up your life.” ~Mordant~
• Hope discusses how in a class she was teaching, participants were disinclined to give up ½ hour of nightly 3-hour television for some health-related activity or exercise
• The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor
• Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy
• Artful Procrastination
• Why Real Women Drink Straight Tequila—The Tao of Intimacy by Sarina Stone and Mordant, yo!
• If you’re good at giving advice, and not so good at receiving, listen when you give.
o We teach what we most want/need to learn
o Ask yourself what advice would you give to a friend going through a similar situation
• Hope discusses her difficulty with addressing her problems…even as she is beginning to coach others
• Hardship is training for the next level of your life; it is there to help you grow
• What do you do when you’re “Not Ready to Deal With It”?
• About Therapy and Therapists
• What the BLEEP Do We Know?!
• About Quantum Physics and how all Time happens at once
o The person you will be is looking back at you, guiding you and encouraging you to overcome your hardships in so that you might learn and grow into the best Y-O-U possible
• Big Problems mean you’re a Big Deal
• Mordant’s “Big Problem”:
o Motivational Speaking…or…Mordant outside his Comfort Zone
• A Video Game Analogy: What makes these games the most fun, what makes the victory the sweetest, is the difficulty of the tasks they set before you at each level
• It’s all about Perception: “If you believe you can or you believe you can’t, you’re right.” ~Henry Ford~
• Retraining your desires/habits—learning to enjoy problems, not hate them
o “Problems aren’t bad; problems are good.” ~David Powell~
• Celeste discusses her roadblocks with getting back to Historical Restoration/Preservation
• There will never be enough time to _________ (that thing you claim you want to do); You have to Create a Space for it
• Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk
• Arin discusses pursuing his dream with his Fencing School and teaching Historical Fencing
• It’s not about What do you have to do to be successful; it’s about Who do you have to become
• Katie talks about how she has completely checked out of her life because she feels as if she cannot win at it anymore.
• A Warning for Creative People!!!
• Mordant discusses using drugs as a distraction when his mother died back in September of 2000
• When Life knocks you down, you’ are allowed to reel from the punch…but, you have to get back up again
• Jack Canfield: Chicken Soup for the Soul & The Success Principles
• Looking at your problems from the perspective of whatever level you’re at: a Level 3 Person looking at a Level 5 Problem versus a Level 8 Person looking at the same problem
• Failure is our Friend
• “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work” ~Thomas A. Edison~
• The Dip by Seth Godin
• Why Mordant quit learning whip cracking tricks
• Quitting World of Warcraft
o Don’t Break the Seal
• Quitting Drinking
• Mordant’s adventures with Toastmasters
o Mordant’s “If You Could Be Anything….” practice speech
• Peter Stelzer & Marla Finn of the Phoenix Film Institute (Scottsdale, AZ On-Camera Acting Coaches)
• (Phoenix Film Institute)news P.F.I…. and dipping my feet into the motivational/public speaking pool